|Source: U.S. Census Bureau|
- New York city added more population than any other city in the U.S.
- Texas claims some of the fastest growing cities in the country.
- The top 10 largest cities all grew, reversing population loss trends of prior years.
- In the top 25 largest cities, only Detroit continues to lose population.
- The fastest-growing cities were all smaller cities of less than 250,000 people.*
For more information, read the Census Bureau's press release on 2012 city estimates, or download the raw data and dig into the details.
*The small city, fast growth rate phenomenon makes sense from a mathematical perspective. Smaller population denominators tend to lead to larger percent change results.