Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Summing up 2013

A brief summary of the year at data insights...


If you could sum up your year in a word, what would it be?

Maternity


Best read

I could pick a journal article, Atlantic Cities post, or other academic-sounding treatise... but the best non-fiction I read in 2013 was a fascinating family history titled Elizabeth Street.

The book documents the life of several families of immigrants recently arrived in New York. It is both social history and biography. And it is totally compelling - especially as the heroine single-handedly wins a battle against local mob thugs.


Best conference experience?

I talked about Poisson distributions at PAA.

I skipped SDA because the FAA wouldn't let me fly on my due-date, but my prior-year paper - comparing administrative records data to census counts - was published in Population Research and Policy Review!


Most popular post?

Perhaps not surprisingly, given the publicity it generated, my guide for where to go for federal data during the shutdown was the most popular post of all time for this blog.



Thank you all for sticking around in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your insights?